Sep 7, 2009

Podcast Review Monday: The Memory Palace

In this day and age, I think we all have a little ADD. "Check out this YouTube video while I channel surf and IM with Betsy, oh yes, and write a work email too." Multitasking is our lifestyle, except of course when we're meditating during yoga class (which I consider to be both spiritual and physical... check two things off my list).

The Memory Palace podcast by Nate Dimeo plays well to this ADD audience. Episodes are 3 to 10 minutes long, and are a deep dive into a very specific part of history. I'm not once of those history buffs who longs for more information about what went on the past. I took history classes just because they were required, and because I felt like I should, not because I actually was all that interested.

But the Memory Palace is changing that for me. Dimeo personifies the historical event by looking at the individuals involved - not just what they did, or what happened to them, but who they were, why they were in that situation, what they thought about the event. He speaks quickly and paints a clear picture.

Subjects range from this guy who jumped off of high objects to President Walker to Ben Franklin's death ray. Quite a variety. I only wish he published more often.

Title: The Memory Palace
Subject: Non-fiction historical events and individuals
Length: 5 - 10 minutes
Available: iTunes
Cost: Free
Quality: High
Interest: History
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions! Makes this much more interesting.