Aug 24, 2009

Podcast Review Monday: The Moth

Raise your hands if you have heard of "This American Life."

Keep your hand up if you love it.

That's what I'm talking about, peeps. TAL love, in da haus!

At one point in my earlier career, I had a series of mind-numbingly boring tasks to do in my otherwise OK job. I listened to ALL of the TAL archives during that time, and it saved my life. Or at least my mind. And since the weekly radio show is often re-runs, I'm pretty much always up to date on it. The result? I'm a TAL-lover, with no fresh TAL. What's a girl to do?

This girl found "The Moth" podcast. It's live recordings of people telling true stories from their lives. It's not "around the bonfire" style, it's performance style. Clearly they have rehearsed their stories, which vary from tales of father-son relationships gone awry, prison life, a fainting problem, and more. They all involve some kind of emotional ride --- both for the teller, and for the listener.

Oh my. Yes, this DOES sound like TAL, doesn't it? Only it's less scripted, less comprehensive, it's just one person's story, the way they choose to tell it. And I can't get enough.

Title: The Moth
Subject: Non-fiction stories, live performance
Length: 10-20 minutes
Available: iTunes
Cost: Free
Quality: High
Interest: Broad

Photo Credit: Andrew Steele
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions! Makes this much more interesting.