Sep 25, 2009

Before & After: Desk Chair

As I write this, I'm sitting on the chair. It feels good. Real good.

Before:
There's a ban on floral upholstery fabric in this house now. It's gotta go!

After:
You can see the hoosier in use as my desk/sewing table! It doesn't just look good, the hoosier is useful.

The chair itself was refinished by my mom and grandpa about 10 years ago. They worked really, really hard to refinish the wood. Thanks for all your sweat, Mom and Grandpa! Made this job a lot easier.

The fabric choice is a little unusual, but I wanted something gray and red... and this is what Sew-Fisticated had to offer. It's not even upholstery fabric! And I put it on inside-out on purpose! The colors were brighter on this side, and I wasn't a fan of the shininess.

What you can't tell from the photos is that I replace the foam seat with some super high quality firm foam from Discount Foam and Rubber on Brighton Ave. I can no longer feel the screws under the foam, thank you thank you thank you!

What do you think of the re-do?
.

6 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm partial to bright colors with grey. I was just thinking the other day that I wanted to make a grey and yellow quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gray is a nice way of toning down the bright colors that I love so much... :-) Yellow and gray is a sophisticated combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting. :) I look forward to reading yours as well! Good luck with your continued journey, and I got the 3-D models at prevention.com. :)

    <3 Jenn (Ex Hot Girl)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Definitely modernizes the chair! :o)

    But...isn't this still technically floral upholstery? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noooooooo!!!! It's floral-ish fabric. Not traditional upholstery.

    Loopholes, my friend. Loopholes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions! Makes this much more interesting.